In 1898, 23 year old Charles Hahn started Hahn Supply Company, a plumbing business, in Lewiston. Over the next 8 years the business and Charles’ family expanded with his marriage to Catherine Colliton, the birth of their daughter Catherine “Katie” Hahn, and the addition of wholesale/retail plumbing to the business.
By 1935 Hahn Supply Co. was operating out of several locations around Lewiston when Hahn sold the retail portion of the business and kept the wholesale side. In 1937, Charles Hahn died of a heart attack. The business continued to expand; in 1959 a new office and warehouse building was constructed at 2101 Main Street in Lewiston, which remains to this day as the corporate headquarters and main warehouse.
In 1962, Mrs. Catherine Hahn passed away, leaving the business to her daughter Katie, now married to A. L. Alford. Shortly after, in 1964, Katie herself passed away, leaving her father’s company to her sons Charles and Albert L. Alford Jr. They incorporated the company as Hahn Supply, Inc. in 1972, and eight years later Albert purchased his family’s interest when Charles “Chuck” Alford was killed in an auto accident.
The tool shop was added on in 1989 when Hahn Supply, Inc. purchased Wade Tool Center. South Center Rental was also acquired in 1989 and renamed Hahn Rental Center. The downtown Lewiston rental location was opened in 1992 next to Hahn Supply in a turn-of-the-century W.W.P. Coal Gasification Plant.
Over the next 8 years Hahn Supply, Inc continued expanding with new rental locations in Moscow and Kamiah, the addition of an industrial cleaning supplies business, as well as the purchase of Ace Pumping to operate as Hahn Pumping and Portables. In 2003, Hahn Supply added a full line of HVAC equipment and the rental division added Hahn Event Rentals to the Orchards location two years later in 2005. Shortly afterward in 2008, Hahn Rental became a Bobcat Equipment Dealer under the business name Bobcat of Lewiston & Clarkston. Also in that year, the Moscow rental location caught fire and was burned beyond repair. The location remained operational out of a temporary building until 2010 when the new building was opened at its original location with the addition of an Event Rentals division.
Hahn Supply, Hahn Tool Repair, and Hahn Rental Center remain a 100% family owned business as it moves into its 5th generation.